The Mountaineer -
Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
© 2007 The Mountaineer Publishing Company Limited.
I have been a proud resident of Rocky Mountain House since the early 1970s. It has been my true honour to serve this community as mayor for the past four years. We have faced challenges and successes together. The challenges due to the COVID pandemic for the last 20 months have been difficult but we are a strong community and giving up is not an option. Working TOGETHER, is our way forward.
During my term, and in addition to the regular governing duties, I have also been involved in numerous public events and currently serve on several provincial and local boards. Recycling Council of Alberta, Alberta Urban Municipality Committees, Campus Alberta Central, and North Saskatchewan Watershed Alliance to name just a few. Participation in this capacity allows me to highlight our community and bring back valuable knowledge to be used locally.
We have accomplished much over the past four years. There is increased transparency through livestreaming of council meetings. Written monthly council reports, financial reports and expense accounts are all available to view through the town website. Maintaining a strong fiscal responsibility is very important to me as demonstrated by our zero per cent increase to the municipal tax portion for the last three years. I am especially happy at our improved Indigenous relations and the creation an Anti-Racism Taskforce. I would like to expand on that and have all neighbouring municipalities work together on this front. We have improved waste diversion with implementation of a green bin and Eco Centre, updated many agreements and created a new Community Support Service Agreement (with Clearwater County).
- Long Range Infrastructure Planning and Asset Management
- Promoting our inclusive, vibrant, and welcoming community
- Building on our ever-growing tourism sector
- Supporting local businesses while recruiting new opportunities
- Continue to find efficiencies and savings through annual service level reviews
- Foster relationships with local First Nation Communities and neighbouring municipalities
- Further improve on waste diversion and services provided at the Eco Centre
- Continue to lobby the Alberta government for a successful Extended Producer Responsibility Program
- Continue with current level of transparency to keep the public informed
- Enact findings from the recent Regional Governance Study
In 2017, I accepted the position of mayor with enthusiasm and dedication. The time and effort I have given is where I believe the bar should be set for continued success and the well-being of the people in Rocky Mountain House. I vow to continue to work extensively for this community as mayor for the next four years.
If anyone wishes to contact me, I may be reached by phone: 403-845-4773, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or on my Mayor Tammy Burke FB page.